Appointments and Affiliations
M.D., Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 2002.
B.S., Biology, The Catholic University of America, 1998.
Dr. Till is developing novel lymphoma immunotherapies, based on adoptive T cell transfer.
- The primary project of the laboratory is development of a CD20-targeted chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) for use in human clinical trials for patients with CD20-expressing B cell malignancies. In addition to generation of a clinical-grade lentiviral vector expressing this construct and optimization of culture conditions, the lab is performing correlative experiments using specimens from patients treated with CAR T cell products to assess the in vivo expansion, persistence and functionality of adoptively transferred T cells.
- Other ongoing explorations are focused on costimulation in CAR T cells, particularly evaluating the extent to which costimulatory domains encoded as part of the CAR construct are sufficient to replace endogenous costimulatory signals.
- Ways to enhance in vivo function of CAR T cells through blockade or knockdown of checkpoint molecules are being pursued, focusing on expression of a secreted anti-CTLA4 construct designed to be expressed by CAR T cells in the tumor microenvironment, thus limiting systemic autoimmune toxicities.
- An immunocompetent model is being used to study the effects of CAR T cells on the endogenous immune system, particularly whether CAR T cell mediated tumor destruction can elicit adaptive immune responses and epitope spreading, and whether this process can be enhanced with the use of other immune adjuvant agents, either administered systemically or secreted by the T cells.
2011-2012: Associate in Clinical Research, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
2008-2011: Research Associate, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
2008-2012: Acting Instructor, University of Washington.
2005-2008: Fellowship, Oncology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
2003-2005: Residency, Internal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
2002-2003: Internship, Internal Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
2006-present, Member, American Society of Hematology
2009-present, Member of Working Group on Lymphoma Committee, SWOG (formerly Southwest Oncology Group)
2007-2009, Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
2007-2008, Associate Member, American Association for Cancer Research
Honors and Awards
2012: NCI Cancer Center Support Grant recruitment award (from UW/FHCRC Cancer Consortium)
2011: Moderator, Oral Abstract Session at American Society of Hematology annual meeting
2010: Damon Runyon Clinical Investigator Award
2009: Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) Young Investigator
2009: NIH Loan Repayment Program recipient
2008: Featured as distinguished alumnus in CUA Annual Report
2008: Lymphoma Research Foundation Clinical Investigator Career Development Grant
2008: ASCO Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award (YIA). Research proposal was sponsored by the Journal of Clinical Oncology (one award per year achieves this distinction).
2007: American Society of Hematology Travel Award.
2007: ASCO/AACR Workshop on Methods in Clinical Cancer Research Participant.
2007: University of Washington General Clinical Research Center Pilot and Feasibility Grant.
1999: NIH Student Summer Research Award, University of Chicago.
1998: Summa Cum Laude, CUA.
1998: CUA Academic Excellence Award in Biology.
1997: Roy Bode Memorial Award for student leadership, CUA.
1997: Thomas Jefferson University Summer Research Program Award.
1996: NSF Institute for Biological Timing Summer Research Award (University of Virginia).
1996: H.P. Ward Prize for Excellence in Organic Chemistry, CUA.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Summer Research Award (CUA).
1995: F.O. Rice Award for Excellence in Freshman Chemistry, CUA.
1995: CRC Press Freshman Chemistry Achievement Award, CUA
1993-1998: Archdiocesan Scholarship (full tuition), The Catholic University of America (CUA).
Board Certification and Eligibility
Medical Oncology (ABIM), 10/2008 - 12/2018
Internal Medicine (ABIM), 08/2005 - 12/2015
Current License(s) to Practice
Washington State License, 02/2005 - 08/21/2013
- Clinical Investigator Award, Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation: Optimization of adoptive immunotherapy for lymphoma using genetically modified CD20-specific T cells, Principal Investigator, 7/1/2010 – 6/30/2013.
- NIH/NCI Cancer Center Support Grant (PI: Corey), 1/1/1977 – 12/31/2014.
Sub-Project: CCSG Recruitment Award, Principal Investigator, 7/1/2012 - 6/30/2015.
Phase II trial of R-CHOP plus bortezomib induction therapy followed by bortezomib maintenance for newly diagnosed mantle cell lymphoma: SWOG S0601.. British journal of haematology. 172(2):208-218.. 2016.
Pretransplant minimal residual disease predicts survival in mantle cell lymphoma patients undergoing autologous stem cell transplantation in complete remission.. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation : journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation.. 2015.
High-dose CD20-targeted radioimmunotherapy-based autologous transplantation improves outcomes for persistent mantle cell lymphoma.. British journal of haematology.. 2015.
Autologous transplant for relapsed follicular lymphoma: impact of pre-transplant rituximab sensitivity.. Leukemia & lymphoma. 56(1):92-6.. 2015.
Specific features identify patients with relapsed or refractory mantle cell lymphoma benefitting from autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation.. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation : journal of the American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 19(9):1403-6.. 2013.
Depletion of Tregs for adoptive T-cell therapy using CD44 and CD137 as selection markers.. Immunotherapy. 4(5):483-5.. 2012.
BCNU-associated pneumonitis: portrait of a toxicity.. Leukemia & lymphoma. 53(6):1019-1020.. 2012.
Mantle cell lymphoma international prognostic index but not pretransplantation induction regimen predicts survival for patients with mantle-cell lymphoma receiving high-dose therapy and autologous stem-cell transplantation.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 29(22):3023-9.. 2011.
Mathematical modeling of chimeric TCR triggering predicts the magnitude of target lysis and its impairment by TCR downmodulation.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 184(8):4284-94.. 2010.
Treatment of lymphoma with adoptively transferred T cells.. Expert opinion on biological therapy. 9(11):1407-25.. 2009.
Antigen sensitivity of CD22-specific chimeric TCR is modulated by target epitope distance from the cell membrane.. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950). 180(10):7028-38.. 2008.
Effect of remission status and induction chemotherapy regimen on outcome of autologous stem cell transplantation for mantle cell lymphoma.. Leukemia & lymphoma. 49(6):1062-73.. 2008.
Response to paclitaxel in adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands.. Head & neck. 30(6):810-4.. 2008.