Fellowship Training, University of Washington, Pediatic Hematology and Oncology, 2000.
Fellowship Training, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Pediatic Hematology and Oncology, 2000.
Residency Training, Johns Hopkins Hospitals, Pediatrics, 1997.
M.D., Wayne State University, 1994.
Ph.D., University of Michigan, Pharmacology/Protein Biochemistry, 1990.
A. Clinical Expertise:
- Identification and therapy of high-risk leukemias
- Management of post transplant relapse in childhood leukemias
- Stem cell transplantation in leukemias
- Therapy of relapsed AML
- Targeted therapy in pediatric AML
B. Laboratory Interests:
Genomic alterations in AML and their role in the Pathogenesis of AML
- Biologic implications of disease associated mutations in AML
- Prelavence and clinical significance of FLT3 and other RTK mutations in AML
- Biologic consequence of RTK mutations in normal and malignant hematopoiesis
- TARGET (Therapeutically Applicable Research to Generate Effective Treatments) Initiative, seeks to identify valid therapeutic targets so that new, more effective treatments can be developed for children with cancer. AML is one of the 5 diseases selected for comprehensive mutli-platform genomic and epi-genomic evaluation to identify biomarkers associated with disease outcome as well those who are viable candidates for targeted therapy. As part of this initiative, several hundred specimens from children with AML will undergo whole genome, whole transcriptome and exome capture sequencing to identify disease associated alterations. Upstream gene, transcript, methylation and miRNA profiling will be performed for integration with the sequencing data. Identified biomarkers will be rapidly validated and translated into clinical application.
Identification of novel markers of high risk disease in AML.
- Using state of the art molecular biologic techniques putative high risk markers are being identified and validated in a large cohort of pediatric and adult AML patients. This information will be used to create a patient-specific risk profile to be used in treatment assignment
Minimal Residual Disease (MRD) as a marker of high-risk disease in Pediatric AML
- Evaluation of flow cytometric evidence of MRD and its correlation with outcome
- Evaluation of molecular evidence of MRD and correlation with outcome
- Stem Cell origin of myeloid leukemias and role of RTK mutations in the evolution of AML
- Role of activating mutations of the signal transduction pathway in myeloid malignancies
Reading, Writing, Speaking
Farsi: Functional, Functional, Fluent
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Society of Hematology
Children's Oncology Group Myeloid Disease Committee
Childrens Oncology Group
Honors and Awards
Jose Carrera's International Leukemia Fellow, Jose Carrera's Leukemia Foundation, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Molecular Pathogenesis of FLT3 Mutations in AML
Child Health Research Center Scholar, National Institutes of Health (NIH), University of Washington
COG Young Investigator Award, Childrens Oncology Group
Acting Instructor, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Assistant Professor and Attending Physician, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
Assistant Member, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Clinical Research Division, Pediatric Oncology/Stem Cell Transplantation
Assistant Professor, University of Washington, School of Medicine, Pediatrics, Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Stem Cell Transplantation
Shorter Remission Telomere Length Predicts Delayed Neutrophil Recovery After Acute Myeloid Leukemia Therapy: A Report From the Children's Oncology Group.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.. 2016.
Association between Prolonged Neutropenia and Reduced Relapse Risk in Pediatric AML: A Report from the Children's Oncology Group.. International journal of cancer.. 2016.
CSF3R mutations have a high degree of overlap with CEBPA mutations in pediatric AML.. Blood. 127(24):3094-3098.. 2016.
CD33 Expression and Its Association With Gemtuzumab Ozogamicin Response: Results From the Randomized Phase III Children's Oncology Group Trial AAML0531.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.. 2016.
Multimerin-1 (MMRN1) as Novel Adverse Marker in Pediatric Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Report from the Children's Oncology Group.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.. 2015.
Sorafenib treatment following hematopoietic stem cell transplant in pediatric FLT3/ITD acute myeloid leukemia.. Pediatric blood & cancer. 62(6):1048-54.. 2015.
Pediatric acute myeloid leukemia: biology and therapeutic implications of genomic variants.. Pediatric clinics of North America. 62(1):75-93.. 2015.
Gemtuzumab ozogamicin reduces relapse risk in FLT3/ITD acute myeloid leukemia: a report from the Children's Oncology Group.. Clinical cancer research : an official journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.. 2015.
Prognostic significance of NPM1 mutations in the absence of FLT3-internal tandem duplication in older patients with acute myeloid leukemia: a SWOG and UK National Cancer Research Institute/Medical Research Council report.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 33(10):1157-64.. 2015.
Single-cell genotyping demonstrates complex clonal diversity in acute myeloid leukemia.. Science translational medicine. 7(281):281re2.. 2015.
Transcriptome Profiling of Pediatric Core Binding Factor AML.. PloS one. 10(9):e0138782.. 2015.
Allelic ratio: a marker of clonal dominance.. Blood. 124(23):3341-2.. 2014.
Sample processing obscures cancer-specific alterations in leukemic transcriptomes.. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 111(47):16802-7.. 2014.
Gemtuzumab Ozogamicin in Children and Adolescents With De Novo Acute Myeloid Leukemia Improves Event-Free Survival by Reducing Relapse Risk: Results From the Randomized Phase III Children's Oncology Group Trial AAML0531.. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.. 2014.