Services and Instruments | iLab | Billing | Grant Information
Services and Instruments
Q: Do I need to set up an account to use Shared Resources?
A: Fred Hutch investigators can use their Project ID to be billed for services.
Some Cores use iLab - a web based application system - to manage service requests, equipment reservations, and billing. The cores that use iLab are Antibody Development, Electron Microscopy, Experimental Histopathology, Flow Cytometry, Immune Monitoring, Proteomics, and Scientific Imaging. iLab is integrated with the Fred Hutch’s PeopleSoft Finance Management System and Active Directory but registration for an iLab account is required to order services in these cores. To register for an account:
- Log in at https://fhcrc.corefacilities.org/account/login
- Log in with your HutchNet ID and password under the FHCRC user link
- Upon successful authentication, you will be prompted to select your PI/lab from the pull-down list and provide your phone number. Please also provide your research coordinator’s phone number in place of your PIs
- Submit the completed registration form. Submission will notify your research coordinator of your lab membership request
External customers need to have a customer ID number set up by providing their billing address information to the resource. The resource will contact Shared Resources Administration to set up the customer account. This is a one-time setup procedure; external customers can re-use the same account number for future billings and multiple P/O.
For the cores that use iLab:
- External customers can register for an iLab account at https://fhcrc.corefacilities.org/account/signup/144
- Complete and submit the registration form
- We will set up your external customer account details
- iLab will send you a welcome email with login credentials
Q: How do I find a service?
A: The Shared Resources web site has both browse and search options from the home page. You can select the Services tab in the FindIt box and enter a search term or click on the Browse Services link in the FindIt box to see services listed by categories. If you do not see a specific service or technique listed, you may want to contact the core facility that offers services close to what you want to find out if existing protocols can be modified to accommodate your needs.
Q: Can I suggest a new service or instrument?
A: Yes, Shared Resources is interested in additional technologies and services that you want to use. Contact Rajesh Uthamanthil at email@example.com with suggestions and requests.
Q: Are instruments available for use by the scientists or can they only be used by SR facility staff?
A: Some instruments are available for use by scientists. There may be an orientation/training required before using the instruments. With a HutchNet ID, time on instruments can be reserved using our online Instrument Scheduler. Some instruments and equipment scheduling are managed in iLab. Each Core's webpage will indicate whether reservations are made in the Scheduler or iLab.
Q: Can I discuss my needs without committing to use of a SR core facility?
A: Yes, managers are happy to discuss your project and the use of their services for your research. If there is a technique you need but do not see listed, ask the manager.
Q: What is iLab?
A: iLab is web-based service request, instrument scheduling, and billing and software system that researchers and Shared Resources staff use to:
- Request services
- Reserve equipment
- Process billing and invoicing
- Track usage
Q: Which Shared Resources are using iLab?
Q: How do I request a service in iLab?
A: From the left hand navigation pane, select the desired Core. Select the Request Services tab and Initiate Request. Only the Project IDs (budget numbers) you have access to will be available to choose from.
Q: How do I schedule time on an instrument?
A: Note: You need to already have an account set up in iLab to schedule an instrument. If you don’t, register at https://fhcrc.corefacilities.org/account/login.
- Log in with your HutchNet ID and password or User login if an external customer
- On the Home page, from the left hand navigation section, select the Core that has the instrument you want to reserve
- You will land on that Core’s Reservations tab
- In the Blue row at the top of the grid, select the equipment you want to reserve by clicking on the instrument name
- View the calendar by day, week, or month
- Select the desired date
- Click and drag the time desired on the calendar
- If you are a member of more than one lab, in the pop-up window select which lab the request is for
- Leave a note under Event notes if needed
- Under Use & Cost of Reservation, select Assisted Use or Independent Use
- Invite additional people to the event if needed
- Under Payment Information choose Project ID or enter your PO number
- Click Save Reservation
- Your reservation will be now be visible on your home page
For more information about using iLab to schedule time on instruments, see the iLab Quick Reference Guide.
Q: How do I view and or/change my pending reservations?
- Your reservation is visible on your home page
- To delete your reservation, click the red Delete X
- To edit your reservation, select the equipment reserved; the calendar with your scheduled time will open
- Select the yellow Notebook icon to make changes to your registration
- Make needed changes and Save Reservation
Q: What about the Shared Resources who aren't using iLab?
A: These resources will continue to process their service requests, instrument scheduling, and billing as they currently do now.
Q: Will there be training available?
A: Individual training for your research group can be scheduled with Suzanne Giftai at 206-667-1270 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Who is the Administrator of iLab?
A: Suzanne Giftai, Shared Resources Administrative Manager, is responsible for all business operations support and billing services for iLab. If you have any questions, she can be reached at 206-667-1270 or email@example.com.
Q: Who do I contact if...?
- I can’t log into iLab? If this is your first time logging in, contact the Fred Hutch IT Help Desk at 206-667-5700 or Helpdesk@fredhutch.org for help with your HutchNet ID. If you’ve had access previously, please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are experiencing problems with your username and password.
- My Project ID isn’t visible? Contact the administrator of your lab or Suzanne at 206-667-1270 or email@example.com.
- I have questions about a service request? Contact the Manager of the Shared Resources core.
- I have questions about charges? Contact Suzanne at 206-667-1270 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How much will I be charged for a service?
A: You should contact the core facility that is offering the service to find out the costs. Once the manager is familiar with your needs and project, they will be able to quote you a price. (In some instances, hourly fees may be charged for instrument use). Shared Resources Administration can also provide you with pricing for specific services.
There are three pricing tiers for service requests and equipment usage. The rates are determined by the user’s relationship with Fred Hutch.
- Internal Rate: Fred Hutch faculty using funds associated with a Fred Hutch managed Project ID get the Internal rate.
- Consortium Rate: Fred Hutch faculty using any external funding get the Consortium rate as well as SCCA, UW, and Children’s faculty who are members of the Cancer Consortium.
- External Rate: All other external users get the External rate.
Q: How is billing done for a service?
A: For internal billing, end users complete work order or log forms provided by the resources. An internal Fred Hutch budget number (project ID) has to be provided to the resource to bill services rendered.
For external billing, an external customer ID number has to be generated first by providing billing address information to the resource. The resource then contacts Shared Resources Administration to set up the customer account. This is a one-time setup procedure; external customers can re-use the same account number for future billings.
Q: Can I pay for services and products using a credit card?
A: Shared Resources Administration accepts Visa and MasterCard credit card payments from external customers or internal customers using external funding. To pay your invoice by credit card, please contact Liz at 206-667-5879 or email email@example.com.
Q: How can I find out how much my lab has been charged for services?
A: The administration staff for each Principal Investigator can provide an expense report for all Shared Resources charges.
If you have access to the Crystal Reports Portal, you can run the following report for your Project ID.
- FMS Reports Folder
- Center Folder
- Procurement Folder
- Shared Resources Inquiry Report
You can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for all billing inquiries.
Q: Are there descriptions of SR facilities and services available for writing grants?
A: Yes, information about shared resource facilities, instrumentation and services for use in grant applications are available either from the home page in the left column (Shared Resources Info for Grant Writers) or in each individual core facility (in the right column under Doing Business). Both long and short descriptions are available.
Q: When do I contact OSR instead of Shared Resources Administration for information?
A: Contact OSR if you don’t have your Project ID set up. The Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) provides a wide range of services to support Fred Hutch's research projects after an agency has made an award including setup of expenditure accounts and setup of record-keeping systems for monitoring grant and contract expenditures.